The early history of the YMCA of Muncie tells a story of perseverance. It was once written in a local history document that "any worthwhile organization always has men of vision and people who are ever ready to sacrifice and pioneer for the good of all."
The first meeting of members of the community to organize the Muncie YMCA took place on July 13, 1875. On October 11, 1881, the Association rented a large storeroom at the northwest corner of Walnut and Charles streets, where various meetings and social events took place. The State Convention took place in Muncie during that time. In late 1893, a business depression, together with a smallpox outbreak, resulted in a delay of further growth of the YMCA.
Another State Convention took place in Muncie in 1905, and in 1911, two Muncie businessmen, brothers F. C. and E. B. Ball, offered a financial gift to assist with the purchase of a building, provided that the citizens of Muncie raise additional funds.
By July 3, 1911, the challenge had been met, and the citizens of Muncie raised a total of $109,000 for the building fund. On Friday, May 30, 1913 the first cornerstone was laid at the corner of Adams and Jefferson Streets. The erection of which was made possible by the munificent gift of $150,000 by the Ball Brothers and the generous contributions of $100,000 by citizens of Muncie.
The need for additional space soon became evident. In 1971, under the leadership of President J. Robert MacMillan a building committee was commission by the board of directors to plan and oversee the construction of a new building. On Sunday, November 2, 1975 the new Muncie YMCA at 500 S. Mulberry Street was dedicated.Today the YMCA of Muncie has grown to serve over 5,000 households with 6 locations that span Delaware, Blackford, and Kosciusko counties. The YMCA of Muncie has an excellent track record of providing quality mission driven programs that enrich the lives of all people in spirit, mind and body.