This posting is for convenience only and does not indicate employment, job or career openings at our Y. Please contact the location and/or supervisor of any YMCA of Muncie position of interest to you.
The YMCA of Muncie is seeking Service Leaders for our Downtown and Northwest locations for opening hours, night hours and weekends.
This position is responsible for the safety and satisfaction of our YMCA members. They must be able to assess facility conditions and member situations that have the potential to be hazardous to people, equipment and the facility and take appropriate action to correct the situation.
The incumbent should take a personal interest in each member and have the desire to ensure each member is satisfied with his or her experience at the YMCA and always strive for excellence in customer service. The individual must be familiar with all facets of YMCA membership and programs and be able to serve as a key leader of the Member Service Staff, including but not limited to tours, membership and program registration, and back up for the member service desk. The many facets of YMCA program operations should be familiar so that most questions can be answered and member services provided without interruptions.
The incumbent should be thoroughly familiar with the facility, equipment, safety rules, and emergency procedures. All areas of the facility and its basic operations will be involved, including opening and closing procedures, daily operation needs and providing leadership in emergency situations. Responsible for building keys that are assigned to you, and the return of keys in case of departure.
The history and essential character of the YMCA is inextricably linked to Christianity and the teachings of Jesus Christ. In fact, the YMCA had its origins in 19th century London, as a bible study group for young men who had come to the city. However, as the YMCA grew and expanded, it changed. Day to day concerns tended to obscure its Christian heritage. Therefore, one of the existing challenges to the YMCA staff today is the emphasis on the “C” in YMCA in existing programs. The emphasis on Judeo-Christian character values like caring, honesty, respect and responsibility should be an integral part of each program and be demonstrated by staff members at every level.
- Know and follow all opening and closing procedures for the building. Coordinate with building staff, maintenance staff, personal trainers, members service staff, wellness staff, volunteers, and others to insure the building and staff are properly prepared to serve members at opening time and shift changes; and that the building is properly shut down and staff have closed their areas at end of the day.
- Frequently travel all areas of the physical facility to inspect for cleanliness, repair of equipment storage of equipment, safety hazards and any other conditions that may be detrimental to people, equipment and the facility. Take the necessary action to remedy those situations that need immediate attention, refer those situations that need follow –up, and complete any necessary forms for good communication.
- Make positive contact with members to establish service-oriented relationships and provide assistance or coordinate assistance for members to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Provide assistance to the front desk, including serving as the primary membership sales contact; showing prospective members our facilities, outlining those programs that are of potential interest to the prospective member.
- Serve as back up to the front desk, providing those services to members as needed in those positions.
- In the event of an accident, follow YMCA emergency procedures as outlined, providing first aid and CPR as necessary. Contact the necessary YMCA personnel as the situation requires, and stay on the scene to coordinate services until relieved by a YMCA professional Director. Complete the necessary forms properly, completely and in a timely manner.
- Serve as facility supervisor for rentals as scheduled.
- Report to work on time as scheduled, in uniform.
- Be professional, alert, courteous and diplomatic. When interacting with patrons follow the four core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Report any behavior that is not YMCA compliant to Supervisor.
- Any other duties assigned.
Effect on end result
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness with which the Association accomplishes its aims and objectives of service to the community. The effectiveness of the incumbent’s fulfillment of this position should be measured by:
- The level of satisfaction by YMCA members.
- The quality of responses by YMCA member input.
- The number of new member sales.
- The number and severity of situations and accidents that occur.
The Service Leader should be prepared to provide direction to any staff person to effectively carry out their assigned duties. Communicating job performance to the professional staff, both positive and negative, of all staff on duty is an essential task of the service leader.
The person must be a high school graduate or higher, hold current certifications in First Aid and CPR, plus attend the following YMCA training within 3 months of starting:
- New Employee Orientation
- How to Deal with Difficult People
- Telephone Skills
- Giving Effective Tours
- Risk Management
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Principles of Health & Fitness
Excellent human relations skills are critical for this position. This person must enjoy establishing positive, service-oriented relationships with a diverse group of individuals. Sensitivity to individual needs is an important part of the job to ensure each member receives the services needed.
This person must be pro-active, taking the initiative to prevent accidents and reduce the occurrence of situations that are detrimental to people, equipment and the facility.
The physical requirements of this position include:
The nature of this position’s work:
- single operation
- series of similar operations
- series of dissimilar operations
- continuous operations requiring attention to details