FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Coordinator of Membership Services & Programs
Primary Department: Tennis
Leadership Level: Leader
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Tennis Instructors at the YMCA of Muncie maintain a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals. Tennis Instructors work with participants to improve tennis skills in a safe and positive atmosphere while promoting member engagement.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants in the Y, contributing to member retention. Be courteous and use individual names when speaking to members.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of the environment.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers and members and helps members connect with one another and the Y.
- Serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting members, and inviting them to get involved and give back to the community.
- Handles and resolves concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
- Applies all YMCA policies dealing with member services.
- Is responsible for all assigned instructor duties including: participants, scheduling of lessons/classes, ensuring program fees are paid prior to lessons/classes, and maintaining proper class attendance records.
- Provides a fun-filled, educational program encouraging participants to continue in the program while leading them toward achieving their goals.
- Assist and cooperate with supervisor, front line, and other YMCA staff in order to house a successful and streamlined program area.
- Works with supervisor to ensure proper court usage/reservation is reflected in Kourts, our court reservation system.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or management staff.
- Supports Annual Campaign and other fund raising activities.
- Upholds guidelines as outlines in the Employee Handbook of the Association.
- Attends designated trainings and staff meetings.
LEADERSHIP COMPETENCY MODEL: OUR DISCIPLINES & COMPETENCIES
ADVANCING OUR MISSION AND CAUSE provides visionary leadership to the organization and to ensure that all resources are mobilized to adapt to new challenges and needs in the community
Engaging Community: Builds bridges with others in the community to ensure the Y’s work is community-focused and welcoming of all, providing community benefit
Philanthropy: Secures resources and support to advance the Y’s work
Volunteerism: Engages volunteers and promotes social responsibility at all levels of the organization
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS connect people to the Y’s cause by developing inclusive relationships, partnerships and collaborations so that Ys can co-create solutions to pressing social needs
Collaboration: Creates sustainable relationships within the Y and with other organizations in service to the community
Communication & Influence: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a way that engages, inspires, and builds commitment to the Y’s cause
Inclusion: Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and global work, as well as cultural competence
LEADING OPERATIONS ensure relevance, effectiveness, and sustainability of the organization so that we can continue to fulfill our promise to the community
Fiscal Management: Manages the Y’s resources responsibly and sustains the Y’s nonprofit business model
Functional Expertise: Executes superior technical skills for the role
Innovation: Creates and implements new and relevant approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y’s work and impact in the community
Program/Project Management: Ensures program or project goals are met and intended impact occurs
DEVELOPING & INSPIRING PEOPLE support the holistic development of self and others so that everyone can embrace the Y’s cause, sustain the Y’s culture, and inspire others to take individual and collective action to further our impact
Emotional Maturity: Demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations
- Minimum of 2 years tennis experience preferred
- NTRP rating preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain physical and mental readiness.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic
segments of the community
- Basic knowledge of computers.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications required. Must be kept current.
- Child Abuse Prevention Training prior to first shift and refreshed yearly.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.