This posting is for convenience only and does not indicate employment, job or career openings at our Y. Please contact the location and/or supervisor of any YMCA of Muncie position of interest to you.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Association Director of Fitness & Wellness
The YMCA of Muncie is looking for an energetic, outgoing team player to lead under the guidance and direction of the Association Director of Fitness and Wellness. The ideal candidate is a dynamic leader who is passionate about health and wellness, understands the changing dynamics of the market, and dedicates her/himself to exceeding both qualitative and quantitative goals. The Wellness Director is responsible for building a team to best deliver health and wellness options, to include: personal training growth, innovative programming, group fitness for all levels and ages, on-boarding and retention of staff and members, outreach in the local community, healthy living engagement, and development of programming outside of our walls. A successful director will be an organized, self starter, effective listener, strong team builder, and have a passion for serving others. The candidate must represent the Y in a positive, professional manner, resulting in friendly, convenient and courteous service and will display and encourage the character traits of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and the fulfillment of all job duties.
- Develop, implement, and oversee all fitness and wellness programs that reflect the community’s needs and maintain the YMCA’s high standards of quality, safety, and character development.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate wellness staff, group exercise instructors, personal trainers, and volunteers as programs dictate and budget guidelines allow.
- Integrate a comprehensive health, wellness, and membership approach in all programs for children, youth, teens, adults, and special populations.
- Responsible for program enrollment, retention, evaluation, payment records, and reporting of records to the Association Director of Fitness and Wellness.
- Monitor and manage agreed upon budgets with operating guidelines to meet fiscal objectives.
- Oversee all purchases and maintain department related supplies within budget guidelines and maintain a clean and safe program area.
- Evaluate, oversee, and deliver consistent, innovative, high energy, and dynamic new programming and special events as well as the expansion of existing programs.
- Be proactive in taking lead of our Wellness Centers as far as all areas are concerned (i.e. staff development, equipment needs, wellness programs, appearance of rooms, response to members, broken equipment, and cleanliness.
- Participate in staff meetings and actively pursue professional training and learning opportunities as appropriate.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA’s mission and goals. Act as a role model and incorporate character development values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility into the daily operation of the fitness and wellness department.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Assist in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Make connections with members and guests and assist with inquiries.
- Develop and strengthen collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Assume other duties deemed necessary by supervisor.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises assigned staff which may include coordinators, instructors and trainers.
- Maintains equipment and facilities.
- Purchases equipment, parts and supplies as required.
- Coordinates and schedules equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Monitors daily operations to adhere to all YMCA health and safety standards and policies.
- Designs and implements new health and wellness programs.
Active Older Adults
- Coordinates with committee to create and schedule monthly activities and events
- Develops and distributes program calendar and newsletter.
- Secures facilities and supplies for activities and events.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent required.
- One to two years related experience.
- Nationally recognized certification is strongly preferred (NSCA/CSCS, NASM, ACSM, etc.).
- Minimum age requirement of 21 with a valid driver’s license.
- Experience in, or ability to, relate to diverse groups of people regardless of age, race, economic status, religion, or cultural differences.
- Requirements within 30 days of hire and to be kept current include: New Employee Orientation, Child Abuse Prevention
- Requirements within 90 days of hire and to be kept current include: CPR, First Aid, AED, and Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Completion of YMCA program-specific certifications.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations (depending upon the programs).
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Life insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Opportunity for voluntary participation in 403B
- Retirement plan funded by 10% YMCA contribution (401C)
- Flexible work schedule
- Career development and training
- Complimentary YMCA membership
- Many free and discounted programs