At Mitchell Early Childhood and Family Center we demonstrate the YMCA best practices and character development in high-quality childcare by providing developmentally appropriate programs for children ages 6 weeks through 5th grade. We adhere to guidelines set forth by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Indiana state licensing requirements.
Features of the Center
- Model (teaching) environment for child care centers
- Developmentally appropriate, Reggio-inspired, whole-child focused curriculum
- Professional development and practical experiences for future educators as student teachers engage in the classrooms with children
- Family engagement component including support and resources for families
- Opportunities for faculty and student research
- Ball State faculty support from the Department of Early Childhood, Youth, and Family Studies in the Teachers College
- Complimentary YMCA Family Membership for enrolled families to focus on building healthy spirit, mind and body
- The Governance Structure includes Executive Committee, Curriculum Board, Family Advisory Board, and Research Committee
Opportunities and Experiences
Mitchell offers a wide variety of childcare and program opportunities to help children grow including:
Infant & Toddler Care
Field Trips • Preschool • Playgrounds
Early Learning Forest • Physical Wellness
Kid’s Gym • Outdoor Education
Nutrition and Wellness
Mitchell follows the YMCA of the USA’s “Healthy Eating & Physical Activity” (HEPA) standards and the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) guidelines. HEPA helps children learn to make healthy food choices and to enjoy physical activity, contributing to their social and physical development.
In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.
Early Learning Forest
Two acres of land at Mitchell have been preserved as a safe space to connect children with nature. Children use the backdrop of the woods, wetlands, prairie, mounds, the gardens, and the climbing logs as a way to build cognitive and social achievement while practicing being good stewards of the Earth and taking care of our natural resources.
The Kids Gym is the ultimate gross motor space that can be used for activities such as basketball, soccer, climbing, building, balancing, yoga and many others. Whether it’s a planned group exercise experience or free gross motor exploration, Kids Gym is designed as an outlet for children.
Nature Preschool is an enrichment program designed to provide a natural, outdoor experience for preschool children. Learn more
Free YMCA Membership
All families enrolled full-time at Mitchell receive a complimentary YMCA membership. Members receive reduced member rates for programs as well as access to free members-only Group Exercise classes. ChildWatch and The Zone available for your children while you work out.
Our Commitment to the Community
By partnering with families in our community, Mitchell Early Childhood and Family Center enables the children who come to us to develop physically, cognitively, emotionally, creatively, and socially in a developmentally appropriate, safe, and healthy environment regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability.
2809 W Purdue Ave
Muncie, IN 47304