Lifeguard Training and Recertification
The American Red Cross lifeguard course is designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to become a professional lifeguard through online training, classroom learning and in-water skills practice. The online portion of the course is 7 hours in length and MUST be completed prior to the first scheduled meeting date. Participants will log onto the American Red Cross website and follow a course outline which includes videos normally viewed during the classroom sessions. The class covers equipment based rescues, spinal injury management and post rescue care.
MAXIMUM 10 participants per class. Registration is on a “first come” basis; there will be no “holding” of spots. Participants must take the prerequisite swim test and register by March 18. The online portion of the course MUST be completed by the first classroom session.
Participants must be able to pass the prerequisite, consisting of the following:
- Continuous 300-yard swim, demonstrating proficiency in front crawl and breaststroke. The 300-yard swim is not
timed. Participants may use goggles for this exercise.
- 2-minute treading water without support and without stopping. Participants can only use their legs.
- Starting at the pool wall, swim about 20 yards, dive down and retrieve a 10-pound brick in 10-12 feet of water, surface, swim on their back with the brick on their chest to the starting point, place the brick on the deck, and hoist themselves out of the pool. This must be done WITHOUT the use of goggles and must be done in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive an American Red Cross certificate for lifeguard/first aid and CPR/AED which is valid for two years.
- Whether you have contacts or not, you must be able to open your eyes underwater without wearing goggles.
- You must be able to go under water to a depth 12 1/2 feet.
- Participants MUST set up a time and pass the swim test (FREE) prior to registering and paying for the class. There is no charge to take the swim test. DO NOT PAY for the class until the participant has passed the swim test.
No refunds will be given for failing the prerequisite swim test, nor for failing the course.
Contact Chuck Gallatin at email@example.com or 765.741.5541.
Registration will begin 3 weeks before each class and end the Wednesday before each class
- May 6 – 8, see times below – Registration begins April 18, ends May 4
- June 10 – 12, see times below – Registration begins May 30, ends June 8
Important – This is for each session:
Friday (NEW TIME) 5pm – 10pm: New Lifeguard Course Participants Only
Saturday (NEW TIME) 8am – 5pm: All Lifeguard Course Participants
Sunday (NEW TIME) 8am – 5 pm: All Lifeguard Course Participants
$210 full lifeguard course
$165 lifeguard recertification
$265 full lifeguard course
$215 lifeguard recertification