As a service to our valued members, our Child Watch and Zone programs provide on-site child care for our families and guests while using our facilities. Child Watch and Zone serve children ages 6 weeks to 12 years. Our goal is to provide a positive experience for children in a safe and secure environment during your visit to our YMCA. We offer age-appropriate activities by offering the Child Watch to our younger children and the Zone to our school age children.
|Temporarily closed at this location||Mon-9am-12pm |
Fri 9am-12pm and 4pm-7pm
Fri - 9am - 12pm
|Sat 9am - 12pm|
|Temporarily closed at this location||Mon-Fri 4-7pm|
*Available for ages 6 months-9 years, and the max occupancy is 10 Children
Policies and Procedures
- Please see a YMCA Childwatch staff to sign in your child/children into Childwatch/Zone using our tablet. Staff will need to know which part of the building you will be in and have a current emergency contact number. The same parent/guardian is expected to pick up their child/children, unless specified at check in. Only those over 18 years of age may drop off or pick up a child. This information is used to verify membership status, track program usage, and most importantly for emergency purpose. You may be asked to show a Photo ID.
- At pick up, please see a Childwatch/Zone staff member to check out your child/children. Staff will share information about your child/children’s stay.
- Please remember that you must remain in the Y or on the premises while your child/children are in Child Watch and or the Zone.
- Your child/children may stay in Child Watch/Zone for no more than 2 consecutive hours.
- Give staff any information about your child/children that may be valuable while he or she is in our care, such as temperament, allergies, likes and dislikes.
- For safety reasons, please do not let your children open the Child Watch gates and or doors.
- Please remind us of any allergies your child might have upon each visit to Child Watch.
- Proper dress is required (shirt, pants, socks, and shoes). Shoes are required at all times for children who are old enough to walk; children who are not walking need to have socks on.
- Children ages 6 to 12 are required to attend Zone when it is offered.
- We require that all children have an information card on file and or signed-in upon arrival.
- Please be conscious of our hours of operation.
Please keep ill children home. Children with runny noses, cough, flu symptoms, a rash, drainage from the eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever will not be permitted in Child Watch or Zone. Child Watch and Zone Staff reserve the right to use their discretion regarding participation. If your child is too sick to attend school or other activities, they are not to attend the Child Watch.
Staff will not administer medications in the Child Watch and or Zone programs. An exception would be the administering of a medication for life-threatening reactions, such as allergies to peanuts. In this case, parents should train staff on duty to administer the appropriate medication. Please see a YMCA supervisor for procedures.
Food and Drinks
- No snacks and drinks, other than water, may not be brought into Childwatch/Zone. Water may stay in a cubby if a drink is needed.
- Drinks must have a spill proof lid as well as labeled with child’s name.
- For infants staff will supervise bottle-feeding.
Toys from Home
- Please do not bring toys, money, small objects or other items from home. We provide fun, safe, and age appropriate toys for all ages. If the toy is a needed comfort item please label it and take special care to remember it when you leave. Electronics are strongly discouraged.
- We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or broken belongings.
- Blankets and pacifiers are welcome.
The very word “discipline” means to teach or gently guide. Staff will teach the child a positive way to handle conflicts and problems that arise. The methods used will in no way be demeaning, threatening, or make the child feel inferior or humiliated.
- Techniques used will be:
- Redirect the child’s behavior.
- Removal from the specific activity
- Removal from Child Watch
- Serious Behavior Problems
- No child will be allowed to continue in the program that becomes a safety hazard to him/herself or others
- From time to time children will participate in behaviors that warrant immediate removal from the Child Watch program. Behaviors include (but are not limited to): biting, spitting, 3 time outs on a given day, hitting a teacher, or refusal to go to time out. If a parent is called, an Incident report will be filled out to document the behavior. If a child receives three Incident reports to documents a behavior, a parent conference is required which may result in a 30 day suspension from the program.
Crying and upset children
At the YMCA of Muncie we want all children to enjoy their experience in Childwatch/Zone. However, it can be traumatic for some to leave their parent/guardian. We will do all we can to soothe your child.
Staff will continue to work hard to comfort children should they cry or appear upset. However, if we are unable to soothe your child/children after 10 minutes, a staff member will come get the parent/guardian.
Diaper Changing & Toilet Training
- During your child/children’s stay with us, they are encouraged to engage in fun activities that include a variety of age-appropriate toys, equipment, and materials of interest and challenging to your child/children.
- We make accommodations for children with special needs.
- The YMCA of Muncie screens and trains all our Child Watch and Zone staff. There is a staff person on duty at all times in the Child Watch and Zone areas who has been trained in CPR, first aid, recognizing signs of child abuse, and recognizing symptoms of communicable diseases.
- We are mandated by state law to report any suspected cases of child abuse or neglect to the appropriate authorities for investigation.
- The YMCA of Muncie appreciates the opportunity to serve you and your family. Feedback forms are available at the Front Desk at all locations. Please let us know how we can better serve you and your family.